Imani Vocational Training Centre (VTC)
Location: Mtakuja, Moshi Region, Tanzania
Founded in September 2000, the Imani VTC works with the Catholic Diocese of Moshi to provide skills training to Tanzanian youth aged 14-25.
Located at the base of Mt Kilimanjaro, the Imani VTC is a half an hour from the town of Moshi.
In 2006, CACHA became a partner of the VTC and began making investments in food or income generating projects. The Imani VTC ran the food project as small businesses and split the yields between feeding the students and selling for profit.
The Imani VTC annually supports 100 Tanzanian youth. 20% of the students at the VTC have physical or mental disabilities and the majority of these students reside in the dormitories. The other 80% are students who cannot afford to pay secondary school tuition or were not accepted into the school due to low elementary school grades. Students are able to choose one major area of study, and focus on that area for two years of theoretical and practical training. The purpose is to enable the students to be able to earn an income and support themselves financially.
Major areas of study include:
- Electrical installation
Students also receive training in English, civics, entrepreneurship, and formation. The two-year programs are recognised and certified by VETA, Tanzania’s vocational training authority.
CACHA and the Imani VTC have fully implemented the following projects, and are working on supplies for the Canteen (approximate cost $5,000)
- Pig shelters = $8,000
- Fish ponds = $1,500
- Garden drip irrigation = $1,500
- Maize milling shelter = $12,000
- Carpentry workshop = $35,000
- Chicken house = $5,000
- Inter-locking brick mould = $1,000
- New water pump = $3,000
- New toilets = $500
CACHA is focused on making current projects profitable, and providing support in other areas such as operational costs (employee salaries, medical services for the animals, equipment for the canteen, etc.).